Using Interactive Games for Whole and Small Group Fraction Work

The main focus of our Fraction unit is to teach students how to interpret and compute quotients of fractions and solve word problems involving the division of word problems {isn't that a MOUTHFUL!} These Smarties have to understand how to read and draw models that represent their work.  In order to be successful at drawing division models, students need to be successful at understanding equivalent fractions.  Recently, I wrote a post about creating your own fraction bar kits and using them to find equivalent fractions.  You can go {HERE} and check it out.  This type of work is really important in getting your students to understand the need for finding equal fractions and common denominators.  In order to maintain the solid grasp of these concepts as we moved into model division drawing, we play Fraction Pop Ups.  I had a few emails asking me to share a little more about this interactive game, so I've written this post.  Hopefully, it will help you out!

First I play this game as an entire class.  I project one set of cards onto my smart board, and students use dry erase boards and markers to work the problem, talking in pairs as they go.

I love the organization that my students have.  I think it is really important to play interactive center games with students first before setting them free in groups.  They get an audio version of the directions, I can clarify any misconceptions, and they have a chance to see what my expectations are for the game.  As we play the game together, I always point out when I see a student who has organized their work in a meaningful way.  It helps my students who seem to always have organization issues get an idea of how to manage their white boards.


Fraction Pop Ups helps students reduce fractions to lowest terms, so it reviews GCF, and then students must solve several addition and subtraction problems using a common denominator.  This helps me out when I ask them to create equivalent fractions in model drawing.

Once we have played the game together as a class, I set it up as a center during my small group time.  Finally, I have students complete a pencil and paper set as a formative assessment.  You could also use this as a bulletin board display, or as another center.
This game can also be played in teams.  Sometimes I break students into groups and line them up with their white boards.  The first person starts and must answer the first question, then he/she passes their answer to person 2 who must use the answer to finish their question, and so on.  The team that finishes first with all the correct answers is the winner.

Interactive Games always provide lots of options for play.  They keep students moving, and more importantly TALKING to each other about MATH.  If you are interested, I have several interactive games you can check out:
Fraction Pop Ups
S'more work with Combining Like Terms
Algebra Cool Down
Hoppin Round the Hundreds Board

No comments

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will make every effort to respond back to you!

Back to Top